A New Creation, Again




I had the privilege of preaching at First Congregational Church in Cromwell, CT today. I was asked by their pastor who was away visiting family. Apparently we have mutual friends who trusted me enough to act as "pulpit supply." Which is a funny way of saying - someone competent to preach while the home pastor is away. Strangely enough, the phrase "When the cat's away the mice will play" comes to my mind.

It is a delightful little church. I was told this Sunday is historically a low attendance day. Since there was probably 50 congregants present and it seemed like a good crowd, I will just have to take their word for it that there are more folks who normally attend. This beautiful and historic church was a sight to behold. The church is hundreds of years old and has quite the legacy. It is churches like that which make me proud of my congregational roots. I was glad to have that experience.

Well, tomorrow is New Years Eve. So, in thinking about our newness in Christ I selected 2 Corinthians 5:16-21 as my sermon text. Do me a favor...don't look back on the post from January 4, 2015. You may find a similar sermon text, title, and anecdotes preached at another church. I will say, however, that this sermon from the same text is vastly better organized and clear. I worked hard to update it with all I have learned and how I have grown over three past few years. I have had a significant adjustment to my theology backgrounds as I studied about the Reformation. So, if you listen you will see some of that poking through the sermon. Happy New Year!

https://fcccromwell.org/2018/12/31/sermona-new-creation-again/

Comments