Bold Coffee: Gold Coast

Week #7 Gold Coast Blend

This is our biggest, boldest blend – a coffee with "big shoulders".

The source of Gold Coast Blend's bigness is a secret recipe of Latin America, Asia/Pacific and dark roast coffees. Created to celebrate the big city of Chicago, the interplay of these very different coffees weaves a deep and densely rich, sophisticated taste. A style all it's own, this coffee is truly one in a million.

I like knowing Starbucks is human too. By my account, that tag line has a typo at the end-"big shoulders". I may need to review my punctuation rules regarding quotes and punctuation inside or outside the end quote, but for now I am comforted to know that nobody-even Starbucks-is perfect.

Well, with my spring finals coming up, I needed a strong coffee! This one was definitely strong enough to keep me studying. I needed some caffeine to keep my eyes on the prize. But the prize this year was a few papers, two finals, and a bunch of reading. I had this coffee during my week of exams and deadlines. The most notable of which was my Sexual and Bioethics class, taught by the president of the seminary.

This is one incident that deserves a blogging report and it occurred during my Sexual and Bioethics final exam. After I was done with the multiple choice and onto the essay, the lights in the lecture hall flickered. Fifty or sixty students sitting in a lecture hall that could hold two hundred were sitting for a final exam with less than an hour to go. All of a sudden the power goes out and everyone just stayed silent. Of course I had to laugh because it was just so silly and a few others joined with comments of their own about how hilarious the timing was. I was able to fire up my back lit keyboard for my laptop and polish up my essay (but I felt bad for anyone who had a laptop without batteries and were just plugged in-they would have lost a bunch of their essays). The teacher and the teacher's assistant figured out how to handle the situation while campus security came by to tell us the power outage was from the town and ought to come back soon. The power did come back on before the end of the exam period and we all had a good laugh. Besides for the exam, I was glad the power came back because it enabled Heather to finish baking some celebration brownies (though unbeknownst to me at the time of the exam). Though it has nothing to do with the Gold Coast Blend (except chronology), this story will stick in my mind as a fun seminary memory.

3 out of 5 refills

Comments

Technically, yes, the period should come before the end quote. Also, "A style all it's own" should be "A style all its own." When an "it" has possession, you don't put an apostrophe. Only the conjunction "it is" gets the apostrophe. So it's really supposed to be a style all its own. See? :)
I like that story. I remember that day and being so disappointed that my brownie-making surprise was going to be ruined. But, the short-lived power outage didn't wreak much havoc in the end. All was well. Brownies were made, consumed, and enjoyed. And, that makes for a fine story indeed.