Found Objects: Granola Bar

Doesn't this look delicious?
You probably answer, "No." (So would I)

I found this beauty as I was walking to class one morning. She was sitting along the side of the road near the terminator between asphalt and snowy grass. I tell ya, I nearly scooped her up and ate her as my mid-morning snack (Not true).

But this granola bar did get me thinking about my weight. When I began Weight Watchers in 2005 I was very successful. With the help of home cooked meals from mom, rigidly structured lunches and breakfasts, I kept myself in line for the most part. I relied heavily on fake sugars and chemicals from Diet Coke to Sweet & Low to the occasional Splenda in order to eat enough to maintain a "full" feeling. In reflection, I wonder if I relied on fake sugars too much and what it could have done to my body.

I was (am) very proud of my successes and I have granola bars like this one to thank. These three point beauties sustained me for many mornings until lunch could roll around. I'm also thankful that I didn't achieve my goal weight at that point. If I had, I would have lost out on some very big lessons I have learned over the last few years since I stopped counting points and we moved away from home.

First off, I realized (through numerous blood tests and doctors visits) that I have an under active thyroid. This contributes to my appetite and weight gain giving me a predisposition to overeating and gaining weight.

Second, as I mature as a adult, I appreciate the disciplines of self-control and sacrifice. I'm thankful for this body (even with the bum thyroid) and I want to care for it. That may mean sacrificing the comforts of excess food so that I can maintain a healthy weight.

Third, there is the very real lesson and reality that I need to trust God and do this as an act of worship. As I have come to reflect my perspectives on food, I have come to reject the idea that I can seek comfort from it. In fact, the Bible calls finding deep heart comfort in something other than God "Idolatry."

Since I don't want to be an idolater, I don't want to find my deepest comfort in food. Thus, I'm thankful for this Found Object: Granola Bar, in that it reminds me to take care of my body as an act of thankfulness towards God and to seek my deepest heart comfort from God alone.

Comments

You are doing a great job, and I am very proud of you. This is a great perspective to have on the whole weight loss issue.

Oh, and the beginning of this post made me laugh out loud, as you already know, since you were sitting about 6 feet from me when I erupted in laughter. Funny Dan.