Skip to main content

Swords

For the groomsmen at our wedding I gave them swords. I removed the pommel of each sword and had it engraved with their initials. I had to hand polish the brass on the swords to remove tarnish. It was quite laborious. But the endeavor was a labor of love as I found time to appreciate every guy in our bridal party.

"Why a sword?" you may ask. Well, swords represent many things to me. If you have ever read Wild at Heart you may already understand much of what I have to say.

Swords remind me of nobility.

A cause on behalf of a King. Remembering I am a son of the Most High King.

Swords remind me of battle.
A team of men fighting with common vision and direction for a common purpose.

Swords remind me of a princess.

A beauty to fight for.

"The LORD is a warrior; Yahweh is His name." Exodus 15:3 (HCSB)

"Who is this King of glory? The LORD, strong and mighty, the LORD, mighty in battle."

Psalm 24:8 (HCSB)

As I have sought to clarify the battles in my life, I have found new strength to act as the person God created me to be. My ability to sense what God is doing in me has grown. I have sensed a new type of communication between my heart and the Divine is evolving.

Something in my heart is calls out for battle. A fight. Victory.

Comments

Heather said…
I love how you described the process of polishing the swords as being a labor of love. What a special and meaningful thing!

Oh, and you will always be a knight to me.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold Coffee: Gold Coast

Week #7 Gold Coast Blend
This is our biggest, boldest blend – a coffee with "big shoulders".
The source of Gold Coast Blend's bigness is a secret recipe of Latin America, Asia/Pacific and dark roast coffees. Created to celebrate the big city of Chicago, the interplay of these very different coffees weaves a deep and densely rich, sophisticated taste. A style all it's own, this coffee is truly one in a million.
I like knowing Starbucks is human too. By my account, that tag line has a typo at the end-"big shoulders". I may need to review my punctuation rules regarding quotes and punctuation inside or outside the end quote, but for now I am comforted to know that nobody-even Starbucks-is perfect.

Well, with my spring finals coming up, I needed a strong coffee! This one was definitely strong enough to keep me studying. I needed some caffeine to keep my eyes on the prize. But the prize this year was a few papers, two finals, and a bunch of reading. I had this coffe…

Books of 2014

Time to look back and share my books! I continue to love reading and I can feel the passion I have for learning and my love for knowledge expanding with each page I read. Here are the books I've read and listened to throughout 2014. There have been more hospice themed books this year as I continue to grow in my knowledge and understanding of the healthcare spectrum. 

Books of 2014  Evangelism and the Sovereignty of God, J. I. Packer Crazy Love, Francis Chan On Death and Dying, Elizabeth K├╝bler-Ross Final Gifts, Maggie Callahan and Patricia Kelley
The World According to Mr. Rogers, Fred Rogers
The Starbucks Experience, Joseph Michelli
Speaking the Truth in Love, Kenneth C Haugk Caring Criticism, William J. Diehm
Proof of Heaven, Eben Alexander

The use of an iPhone to play audiobooks has made my audiobook section grow substantially from last year!

Audiobooks of 2014  The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals, Michael Pollan
The Giver, Lois Lowry
The Fault in Our Stars, Joh…

Books of 2012

I had a habit during seminary of sharing the books I had been reading. In my heart, I'm not sure if it seems boastful to continue this tradition. I may need to do some work to discern my inner motives. For this time I shall, once again, share with you the books I've read and listened to throughout 2012.


J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows J.K. Rowling, The Tales of Beedle the Bard J.K. Rowling, Quidditch Through The Ages, Kennilworthy Whisp Daniel Keyes, Flowers For Algernon Paul W. Pruyser, The Minister as Diagnostician Jill Bolte Taylor, My Stroke of Insight Manfred Waldemar Kohl, Congregationalism in America Rod Bell, Velvet Elvis Madeleine L'Engle, A Wrinkle In Time (Strangley, the worst book I've read in a long time!) John and Stasi Eldrege, Captivating Stewart Wolff, Father Stories Martin Luther, Concerning Christian Liberty Kenneth C. Haugk, Christian Caregiving: A Way of Life
Ruth N. Koch and Kenneth C. Haugk. Speaking The Truth In Love
Also, this…